Re: computers suck creative energy

Quoting Paul Richards <paulrichard_rocks@yahoo.com>:

> In any case, I still find, when using PC-based environments for
> music creation ( e.g. Reason, Cubase, et al), more time wasted
> messing around with locating functions, performing tweaks, etc.
> Don't get me wrong, I like my PC for certain applications, but when
> I start fiddling with technical crapola, my muse departs.

One of the differences between computers and dedicated equipment is
that dedicated equipment is more intuitive.  When one is struggling
with complex signal routings, levels, and automation in an environment
such as Cubase, one can easily feel like one's creativity is being
sucked out of them.

To avoid such feelings, I approach a new piece of software by doing my
own personal learning/study sessions.  My goal is NOT to make music
but, rather, to learn the environment.  To master a package such as
Cubase takes a lot of time and there are many functions in Cubase that
I haven't even explored.  My approach is to learn enough that I can do
basic i/o and processing and then to master particular functions
one-by-one.

When I decide to make music, I think utilize the functions that I have
learned and nothing else!  It is easy to go off on unproductive
tangents.

What sucks the creativity out of me is when things don't work.
However, things do happen from time to time -- particularly in a
complex environment.  When something stops working, I will make a note
of it and deal with it later (if the non-working thing isn't a
show-stopper).  If a critical item fails, then I consciously remove my
musician cap and put on my troubleshooter cap.

Having said this, my entire equipment collection has many "single
points of failure".  If my theremin won't play, or computer won't run,
or my mouse driver quits working, or my firewire cable develops a flaw
-- the list goes on and on -- I would have to scrub my prepared music
and improvise something quickly!

I have a detailed backup strategy for all my files.  My goal is to
eventually have my Cubase data files and other needed files on a
server so that, in a worst-case scenario, I could rebuild my system
from anywhere.

What I am saying is that I am aware that complex equipment --
computers or otherwise, can take a musician on a tangent far away from
creative music-making.  Since I work with complex equipment, I am
constantly on guard to avoid such creativity-sucking tangents.

-- Kevin