Adrian Belew has joined the loopy party too!

In one of your tours through San Francisco I noticed you were using some
equipment from Line 6.
Can you tell us about your current guitar and amp set-up? – Right now I’m
using a pretty
interesting combination of things. In the world of amplifiers I became
very reliant on the early
modeling amps called Johnson Amps which were made, I believe by the
company DigiTech and I wrote
so much of my material with things that I discovered in those amps.
Unfortunately they closed up
that leg of their company. So there are no more Johnson Amps and there is
no more support for them
and they are very rare and here I am stuck with two of them that I use.
And a lot of the material
that I wrote can only really happen through those amps so I use them. When
I say they can only
really happen, it’s because I wrote specific sounds and types of looping
and things that I just
can’t seem to make other amps do. Eventually, about two years ago I went
with Line 6. They are
also a great modeling company and they are probably the best one in the
world and naturally they
are famous for all of their pedals and they put together these packages
that are amazing because
you can get everything in one package. And what I’m trying to do now is
gradually move more to the
Line 6 products. What I’ve got now is the twin Johnson Amps and a twin set
of Line 6 Vetta II’s.
Adrian Belew Setup Correspondence
What I’m currently doing is an interesting approach. I have two pedal
boards; one for the Line 6
and one for the Johnson’s. And so what I’m able to do is create a sound on
one of them and add
something over top of it with the other. Since most of my basic sounds
were written in the
Johnson’s a lot of it starts with the Johnson’s and then I kind of put the
icing on the cake so to
speak by introducing something new from the Line 6. So if I’m playing
along with some particular
sounds and I want to suddenly go to some radically different sound, I pop
the Line 6 pedal board
in and then I have a pretty unique sound there. To add to that I have one
other thing. I’ve been
using a Boomerang looping pedal and running that through a monitor amp
that doesn’t do anything to
change your amplifier sound it just makes it louder. Whenever I create a
sound that I like or make
a little loop, it will come discreetly through that amp. That way Mike and
Mike can hear that
discreetly and adjust the level as they want to.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.