Re: AW: If you were going to buy just one Mic...

421s are nice. Great for toms, kick, guitar amps. I was once recorded on TV where they used a 421 on my acoustic guitar! I said to the sound guy, "This ain't gonna work" and he said, "Well let's just try it." It sounded incredible. Haven't tried it in my studio though. Haven't tried them, but Paul Smith told me the old white ones sound better. He has great ears. Spendy though.

421s are like SM 57s. When in a pinch, you can use them to drive railroad spikes and they still work afterwards. Something to consider if you're going to take the mic to live gigs or if you're using more lightweight or flimsy mic stands.

It all depends on how much you wanna spend. I really like the Neumann 105. Looks just like an SM58, is surprisingly rugged (I dropped mine on concrete and it still sounds fine), and sounds very good. I think they're somewhere in the range of $700 though. Needs phantom power. Not real familiar with the CHinese mic's but I've heard very good things from friends with golden ears.

Ruggedness is important. With the big diaphragm & expensive guys, when they hit the floor, quite often they're hosed.

My fave Sennheiser is the MKH40. Have only used it on acoustic instruments so far though. Fabulous for acoustic recording - cello, violin, acoustic guitar, banjo. Haven't used it for voice yet.

Being able to choose the patterns is nice, but you need an environment where you can really take advantage of that. Which means, a VERY VERY QUIET and controlled recording space. Omni always sounds so much better... but any extraneous sound can ruin the recording. But if you have the right space, a less expensive omni can sound much better than a more expensive cardioid.

Have heard some very nice vocal recordings done with the bigger Audio Technica mic's. Don't have any, though.

I think a great mic pre can make most any mic sound WAY better. For voice and Neve-ish clarity, I really like the cheap little Chameleon mic pre's. I like the Daking 4 channel for a maybe fatter colorful sound - nice for acoustic and electric guitars. 4 channels for around $1800. Not bad. And I've heard of some nice cheap tube mic pre's. Was it ART that made them?

Always the wise thing is to ask your dealer if you can take a few home and try them. They might ask you to pay for all of them which is fine as long as you can return the ones you don't like.

I can't remember the name, but there is a company that screens all the Octavias they sell. Haven't used Octavias yet but have heard very good things about them.

Have fun and enter the game slowly. It's a bottomless pit! And remember that some amazing recordings have been done with some pretty inexpensive gear. it's really all in the music. And your ears. If you have really great music and ears, an SM57 and good pre can take you at least to the next step.

7:50 - time to go be GrandDad Santa!

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.