Re: Lo Fi Loop Junky: WHAT DON'T YOU LIKE ABOUT YOUR LOOPER(S)

At 3:28 PM +0100 12/28/07, jayrope looper's delight wrote:

>Anyone tried the looper from zvex.com? I am thinkling to ask the
>developper there to maybe build a simple looper upon specs given...

Zvex's Lo-Fi Loop Junky.  Yeah, I've got one.  Kind of a cool little
toy.  I liked Zach Vex's philosophy behind it (the loop sounds
nothing like the player).  I pull it out occasionally, but still
don't rely on it as one of my "go-to" boxes.

Things I DISLIKE about it:

1.) No overdubs.
2.) No Feedback.
3.) The Warp/Vibrato settings are so subtle that 8 out of 10 times
you can't hear any difference.
4.) Uses standard (Switchcraft, I think?) stompbox switches.  Good
quality, but you gotta lay into 'em, which can mess up the timing on
your loop every once in a while.
5.) Expensive, for what it does.

As for talking to Zach about developing a more fully-functioning
Looper, good luck.  He's a pretty nice guy overall, but can
occasionally get a bit moody from what I've noticed (probably from
dealing with a million clueless teenagers all asking him how his Fuzz
Factory works, and what settings should they use to sound like My
Chemical Romance, etc.).  Don't poke him too much and you oughta be
fine, though.

He's pretty straightforward about what the Loop Junky is and is not,
as well as his tastes in Looping (hates it when you can't tell the
player from the loop, for instance).  Given that, as well as the fact
that this is a really warped analog BBD-like device, I'm not sure how
far you're gonna get.  Some stuff (like reverse) just isn't possible
using this architecture -- he's already tried.  It'll be interesting
watching the response, in any case.  :)

        --m.
--
_____
"take one step outside yourself. the whole path lasts no longer than