Re: Logelloop multitrack realtime audio looper for MAC OS 10.4 and 10.5

Hi Gang,

I too have had a go with Logelloop today and I really like this
looper! I was a bit reluctant first, until I read the "Logelloop
Macro Programming Reference Guide". With macro's I will be able to
loop with the same concept I used with EDP/Repeater and like to use
with Mobius; ie improvising chord changes in the loop while playing
along and even overdubbing into the loop. Logelloop also has a
wonderful potential as "groove machine looper" because you can swap
presets by pedal controlled macro's. One particularly exciting test I
did today was to set up Speed changes for all tracks in advance and
then start out by recording a short and punchy percussion loop
("flute spitting"), kick Overdub and play almost the same riff. Since
I'm starting out in Normal Overdub Mode each new loop layer will be
recorded to a new track (Logellop is like a Repeater with ten tracks
- ie ONE loop by TEN tracks). Ok, I record almost the same percussive
riff on every track, but since they are pre-configured at different
Speed the instant orchestrated effect is a smashing poly rhythm. You
could eventually break the chain at track 8 or nine by kicking
Multiply instead and layer the final tracks as longer layers. Or you
could kick the Overdub Mode into Mix to overdub many layers into the
same loop, at the end.

At this point I reached my first question mark: When working in Mix
Overdub Mode I wasn't able to find the feedback control? Where is it?

I was also delighted to find, in the Macro Reference Guide, that you
can "quantize" the execution of a macro to either wait until the end
of the loop or until the beginning of the loop. I don't yet
understand what practical difference one or the other would make
though. Such "quantizing" is essential for the above mentioned
looping technique, if you write a macro that recalls a preset with a
setup of different track Speed settings to form a new chord. You can
also "quantize" preset recalls by the settings in the mixer's preset
section (direct/instantly, by end or by beginning of loop).

My second question mark regarding Logelloop has to do with VST plug-
in synchronization. I was opening a VST OhmBoyz delay (by OhmForce in
France!!!) as Aux FX and the BPM value did not seem to follow the
tempo implied by the length of the loop I was creating. I double-
checked with Ableton Live and found that the VST OhmBoyz displayed
the correct tempo in that VST host. I need to do more listening tests
on this tomorrow, to late now for my neighbors, to see if it is a
graphical bug in Logelloop or if the VST tempo information is broken
on its way to the plug-in.

Speaking about VST, why staying with that old and inflated format?
Steinberg never steered it up properly and today it's just a mess out
there. Third party plug-in developers tend to give priority to
creating AU versions for the new Intel CPU armed Apple computers. If
there was a "AU to VST Converter" available I would buy it right
away, since my favorite plug-ins are AU only and will never appear as
Universal Binary VST versions.

Speaking about those Aux FX slots, I couldn't hear any sounding
difference when moving the volume fader for fx1 and fx2? I had to
control the effect level only by the send level.

Finally, I did not understand what type of "MIDI Synchronization" is
mentioned in the Macro Reference Guide. Is it MIDI Clock or is it
Midi Time Code? And what is it for? Nothing on that in the manual. My
guess is that it's about MIDI Clock and then I'm of course curious if
Logelloop has some sort of internal synchronization system that sends
the same MIDI Synch Commands to VST Plug-ins loaded into the two Aux
FX slots?

Oh, almost forgot one big question mark. When trying to load the VST
Plug-in Pluggo Rye, from Cycling74, a pluggo error message informed
me that "there were 69 errors loading this effect". What a shame,
Pluggo are so nice!

Logelloop looks nice too. Screen grab: http://www.looproom.com/
logelloop.png

On 30 dec 2007, at 21.08, Philippe ollivier wrote:

> When you use a pitch, you need time to calculate. So if only one
> track is pitched, it is not synced to other tracks. So, I decided
> to insert a delay in the other tracks to maintain the music
> synchronization. The problem is when you need to make an overdub if
> (at least one track is pitched or streched). It is the reason why i
> prefer to record my sound before playing with pitch and strech...

That's why I love Speed!!!! ;-)) I'm not so sure the problem with
slow calculation of Pitch can ever be solved. The best "Pitch Issue"
I've seen (heard) is in the old Repeater. When I sent a new tempo or
pitch command to my Repeater it kind of caught up slowly. That's much
better compared to playing everything right on time but with a
crackling fidelity until the new order is stable, as some software
do. Pitch Transformation and Time Stretching can be instantly carried
out in software when applied to already recorded audio. Then the
software uses a look-ahead function to gain the time needed for
calculations, but those precious milliseconds just don't exist in
live music where audio is created and sent into the machinery by
carbon based musicians. So for live looping pitch sucks and speed rocks.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)