Re: Recent listening

These threads are always fun! You may notice a pattern in my list. I have
been listening to a lot of jazz hammond players lately, largely because I
have started an avant soul-jazz band where I'm playing mostly faux (laptop
derived) hammond and some "real" vintage keys. It's fun to drag my
Minimoog
back to gigs again! We had our 3rd gig friday, and it was a blast.

So my list:
Dr. Lonnie Smith, an unsung genius of the hammond. He did an album of Beck
covers, Boogaloo to Beck, that is a total po-mo stone-soul jazz classic.
Larry Young, both the early Blue Note stuff and the later, more out stuff,
like "Lawrence of Newark" and "Love Cry Want."
Big John Patton's classic Blue Note stuff, esp. the album w/Bobby
Hutcherson, the vibes/hammond combo is great.
The entire Zony Mash catalog
The entire Medeski Martin & Wood catalog, though I'm not a huge fan of the
band, Medeski is a pretty inspiring player.
A bootleg from a Russian concert by John Zorn's Emergency (Zorn, Medeski,
Marc Ribot, and, I think, Kenny Wolleson), the only recording I have been
able to find of Zorn's tribute to Tony Williams' Lifetime. Awesome stuff!
Jeff Babko: Mondo Trio, with Jeff Cotton and Vinny Coliuta, imagine
Lifetime
with Eric Dolphy replacing McLaughlin, this is almost that good.

Very little looping in the listening lately. But I have been doing some
looping live in this new band, I have been rediscovering the Vortex. On
impulse, I hooked it up to a Hohner Pianet, and have been really digging
that combo, very cool for short textural loops. In this band, I am making
it
a point NOT to loop any of the hammond stuff, but to play it all in real
time, including all the left-hand bass lines.