Re: Granulator "stompbox"???

Nope, On the EDP, its possible to insert microscopic samples as you play, or loop microscopic loops... AND its possible (especially if you sequence your footpedal pressing) to move through the memory microscopically using lop windowing, but no, this is NOT genuine granular synthesis, or granular processing.
A granular synthesiser should be able to take a sample (or memory contents) and grab small snippets of this content, loop it and continue to grab new material and layer this new material with the old, move through the material dynamicaly, therfore timestretching it... and pitch it.

Of course, now I think about it, this IS WHAT THE EDP DOES!!!It is however monophonic (you cant playback one loop from one part of memory and another loop from another part of the same memory.
I think its more a matter of control. What I dream of is a way to make settings (that can have some elements of randomness built in - for example to define a possible range that any one setting may use)
These settings should include, grain leangth (+or -), pitch transpose (+or -) loop feedback per grain (and + or - probability that the grain will die earlier than fade out naturally acording to the feedback setting), feedback grain movement speed (how fast the loop moves through the material) PLUS a new material probability setting ( how often a new grain is recorded and looped up to the maximum consecutive grain amount).

I have made some inroads into VST versions of this, but gave up, never quite achiving the same results as the Bubbleblower module in Audio Mulch, and anyway... I WANT HARDWARE!!!!

As far as I know, there has NEVER been a hardward granular synth... Am I right??? I hope not!!!
When finances allow, I intend to buy some of the Doepfer modular synth sampler modules (only 8 bit tho) as I think that with a hell of alot of cables and various other control modules somthing like this might be achived.

For now, its pseudo granular on th edp...

On Jan 29, 2008 11:03 AM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
Chopping the sound up into tiny fragments and re-ordering them isn't really granular???

andy

--
www.markfrancombe.com
www.looop.no