RE: anybody dealt with tendinitis?

Hi Jim,

I've had both tendonitis and carpal tunnel problems in my hands and wrist
in
the past, and I have found a few things to be particularly effective. The
main issue is tension. Anything that can reduce tension in your playing or
posture can be very helpful.

I developed problems while sitting in classical position (with
footstool)for
long tense hours practicing and performing. After a recuperative break for
about a week I changed my seating position around - and stopped practicing
Bach fugues every day! - and my problems cleared up dramatically. In terms
of seating position, I now flip back and forth between having the guitar on
my right leg and using a Dynarette guitar cushion on my left leg. Having
one's foot up on a footstool is very tense on the body, and the cushion
relieves all that tension yet puts the guitar into the same position as
using a footstool.

Another thing that helped, more for carpal tunnel than tendonitis I think,
was sleeping with a wrist brace, which a doctor recommended. I bought one
over the counter at a drugstore. It helps a lot when I get the occasional
flare-up. That and rest, in terms of playing.

Ibuprofin helps, but eats your stomach and liver. Non-toxic cannabis helps
for some people as well, particularly for the relief of tension and as a
natural muscle relaxant.

 I hope some of these suggestions help you. Stay positive!

Yours,
~Greg