looper + laptop interaction

I'm looking for the simplest way to have a hardware looper sync up with pre-recorded audio on a laptop or other device.

I want to be able to perform live loops, and add in pre-recorded sounds or even entire bedtracks when i need to, and have it all line up nicely.

A friend suggested Imogen Heap's setup, linking an Electrix Repeater with Ableton's Live - can someone offer some expertise on how these two would be synced together?

I have been searching for a solution for almost a year, so if you have some info PLEASE share - I would appreciate it more than you might think.

Many thanks,
Jesse
:  )