Re: Voice to MIDI thru voc proc and guitar synth?

At 6:34 PM -0400 3/17/08, music@carlsonarts.com wrote:

> I want to use my voice as a MIDI controller (i've always been one to
>push the envelope, so to speak).
> I know, I could use a vocoder, but that limits to the presets available,
>usually.  I want to be able
> to control any MIDI instrument that is out there with my voice, and not
>rely solely on the vocoder
> patches that are available.

You might try looking into the Yamaha G-50 Guitar-to-MIDI converter.
Yeah, it's primarily for use with a
guitar and a 13-pin divided pickup, but there is also a single 1/4" input
jack on the front panel.
Ostensibly, it's designed so that you can use this for pitch-to-MIDI
conversion with a horn/sax/whatever.
However, I don't know why you couldn't try using it with voice as well.
You might even consider using an EQ
on the input (between the mic and the G-50) in order to maximize the
pitch-detection and tracking, as well.

Not sure how well it works with the front-panel input, but the G-50 is
widely considered to have the best
MIDI conversion and tracking when using Roland "GK"-type magnetic pickups.
 Given that pedigree, I wouldn't
think working on a single monophonic input would be too shabby.

You can usually find them on the 'bay for around two bills these days.

        --m.
_____
"bye-bye empire; empire, bye-bye"