Re: Laptops again

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:41 PM, Erdem Helvacioglu <erdemhel@tnn.net>
wrote:

> about the macbook pros:
>
> there are so many different versions of it on the market. which specific
> models would recommend for around 2000$ with 2.4 Ghz intel core2, 160 gb
> harddisk and 2 gb ram?

There are three MacBook Pro models. So you think that is a lot? I
first wanted to write that "you may have a hard time finding a MB Pro
that cheap", but then I did a check with Apple's web site and found
that they actually start at $ 1999 these days. Since you did you
research that model have been upgraded with a 200GB hard drive.

> i will be using the machine for sound design work. i would like to
>install
> both mac osx and winxp64 bit. is that possible? can i copy files between
>2
> systems?

Should not be a problem. I found this for you on the internet:

"Apple has started quietly shipping 64-bit Windows Vista drivers (for
Boot Camp) with the install disks of the latest Mac Pros which were
just released earlier this month. The installation instructions that
come with the new Mac Pros specify this new feature:
Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation
disc (Service Pack 2 is required for Windows XP installations). Do not
use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier
version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2 or later.
Use only 32-bit versions of Windows. If you have a Mac Pro introduced
in late 2007 or later, you can use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista."

Read more about the above at
http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/21/apple-quietly-intros-64-bit-windows-support-in-boot-camp/

To copy files between the two systems you can pop in a USB stick.

On my MacBook I formatted the Windows XP partition as FAT32 which
makes it directly readable from OS X. When in OS X I can drop files
into XP, but when I'm in XP I can't drop files into OS X - but I can
boot into OS X and simply fetch them from XP.

I'm choosing the MacBook before the MacBook Pro because it is much
less expensive. I don't need the extra dedicated video memory since I
don't do film editing or heavy gaming and I think I can handle it
carefully enough so the Pro's metal cover won't be much missed. I also
went for a 250 GB drive and 4 GB RAM right away. And I stay away from
anything 64 bit coded so far, because I don't have time to mess with
new technology that some companies may not yet have been able to offer
software compatibility or hardware product software drivers for.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)