Re: Second Life as a Paying Venue

For some reason, my posting got delayed for some folks. Anyhow ...

Jim: The difference between SL and a webcast or a podcast ... a
podcast is a "fixed" file, i.e., it is recorded and then available
from a "permanent" location, either a single URL or a website with
multiple listings of other podcasts,each with their own URIs. A
webcast is a URL pointing to a server that will stream a file. That
file may be pre-recorded (as in, using the file from a podcast) or a
live transmission (like we did for the electro-music New Year's Eve
performances, or what Darrell Burgan does each Saturday night for his
Blue Water Drift Dive over at stillstream.com ...).

In general usage, a podacst is static and may consist of multiple
files over time (each perhaps representing unique performances). A
webcast is generally seen as the streaming of a "live"
situation/broadcast, though in the case of "web radio" that stream may
be "recorded" files.

Sometimes the distinctions are a little on the whiffy side of semantic
shading!

Second Life takes advantage of both. In my case, it is more analogous
to a webcast, as I am performing the work live in my humble 2nd
bedroom studio, feeding the audio into an interface of a computer,
streaming the results out to an aggregating server which then feeds
the audio into SL. The "live performance" aspect kicks in once I log
on to the Second Life environment, where my avatar is doing an
animation of playing a guitar (a Fender; working on getting a copy of
my Godin made!) in front of an audience of other avatars who are
logged in, literally, from all over the world. During breaks in
playing, I can interact with the audience via typed Chat or Instant
Message and through voice via the webstream.

Last November, I did a live performance on stage at Princeton
University; this was a "simulcast" into Second Life, with a feed in of
both audio and video, along with my avatar being present.  This is the
second time I have tried something like this (the first being at the
"@ Lab" of Ohio University last Spring to inaugurate their new Second
Life performance space). There is a growing number of people looking
at this latter kind of virtual performance of combining live audio and
video feeds in to SL from their real world performances.

Most recently, I have done a session, using ninjam, with a group of
performers scattered between Chicago, Boston, Munich and Berlin,
Germany  and Sköndal, Sweden (I hope I types right!) with the ninjam
server streaming our combined audio into SL, where our avatars are.
For a group like Chinapainting, this might offer some interesting
possibilities.

Hope this helps and gives some ideas ... let me know if I can assist.

Dennis