Re: attitude(how much to ask for)

I'm dealing with exactly this question just now. The owner of a modest
coffeeshop, where I fully expected to play for tips, asked me "What do
you charge?" It seems so incredibly arbitrary what I would choose to
charge in that situation - as opposed to, say, a nice restaurant where
there's obviously a good amount of money coming in and so I actually do
ask for what I think I'm worth - that I was a little baffled. I really
wanted to play there, mainly as I have friends in that city and want to
present my stuff to them, and this sort of coffeeshop nearly always
means playing for tips. I didn't want to offer to play for free in a
situation where money is apparently typical (thus dragging down the
local market - I was mindful of the discussion here!) - and didn't want
to price myself out of the gig, so I ended up asking for about half what
I'd charge a restaurant...and am still waiting to hear back from him.

I'd love to know what other people do in a situation like this. You want
the gig, and would take anything, but want to hit some mythical average
you can only guess at.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com