Re: attitude(how much to ask for)

wow...it seems the live music situation in the U.S.
its gotten really depressing, guess i am lucky to be
here.My brother who is a bass player and lives in
southern california also tells me how musicians only
get one drink(and he is with a very well established
band who always pack the house)and in some places they
dont have the freedom to go to the bar where the
public goes and ask for an alcoholic drink even if
they want to pay for it,and they are asked to eat in
the back of the restaurant away from the publics
eye.He also tells me that at some bars musicians have
to even pay to join a jam session!
are perhaps musicians at fault for this...?
Here sometimes you get paid even beforehand,with my
quartet i rarely go under 1000.-eur.free food and
drink(as much as you want) is always included,and you
can sit ,eat,or order a drink just like anybody else
does anywhere you want,but yes you do have to pay your
taxes every once in a while!
cheers
Luis

--- Travis Hartnett <travishartnett@gmail.com> wrote:

> My experience
>
> There's a huge amount of variables involved.  For a
> coffeehouse type gig in
> the city where I live, the "good" places pay $50
> plus free food and whatever
> tips and CD sales you can muster up.  For the "bad"
> coffeehouses, it may
> only be tips and CD's and a discount on the food.
>
> For weddings and corporate gigs, about $75-100/hour,
> starting from when I
> leave the driveway until I return.
>
> Band gigs in bars--always some bullshit formula
> involving percentages of the
> bar, the door, less the soundman and doorman fees
> which amounts to $20-80
> takehome for the entire band.
>
> For bars and cafes, the deals are usually "take it
> or leave it"--the venue
> offers you something, and are usually completely
> unwilling to negotiate.
>
> TH
>
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 9:32 PM, L.A. Angulo
> <labaloops@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Just curious friends,
> > so when you deal with club owners or venues how do
> you
> > determine then how much you should be paid,or how
> do
> > you figure out the economics of the city,town or
> venue
> > you are going to play beforehand?I know this is
> all
> > based on negotiation but where do you start and
> stop?
> > cheers
> > Luis

www.myspace.com/luisangulocom