Re: Why SHOULDN'T musicians be paid?

Dear Warren,

Thanks for your letter and your kind acknowledgements.

I wanted to write about a couple of things that you mentioned just because
have a very different take on them that I"d like to share.

You wrote
" I replied that I was a composer, working on some music, and he said,
"oh,
well, who isn't?" And, you know, despite the obvious differences of years
of
experience and study and dedication, at core I felt that he was
essentially
correct in his attitude. He was me 20 years earlier. It was shockingly
humbling. So yeah, Rick (tho you didn't say this to me, it felt like you
did), I don't put that much external value on my own musical creativity. "

Gosh Warren, I have such a different take on creativity than this young
man
who was so rude and dismissive to you.

I think that all people's creativity is valid and anyone who knows me well
knows that I champion people being creative as a matter of course in my
own
life's work
so please dont' assume that I said this to you.  It's not in my being EVER
to say such a thing to someone.   I actually really resent that kind of
thinking.  It's small
minded and judgemental.  Ask anyone who knows me well and they'll tell you
this is true.

My honest definition of an artist with a capital A is someone who has the
courage to get up and do art everyday that they possibly can.   Having  a
day job
or doing it proffesionally doesn't matter to me at all.  Honestly!

There are, of course,  times when  I will do a gig as a seasoned
professional musician
where I may encounter a musical situation where it is obvious that another
musician just hasn't devoted that much time to a particular task.     I
think anyone
in any profession occasionally shakes their head at a newbies mistake or
misstep but I don't think this is overly judgemental of
anyone...........it's just part of the process.

Will a person who's played guitar professionally every day of his life for
30 years be more accomplished than a young person who has played for 5
years?
Of course he or she will.     Is that professional musician intrinsically
more creative than the newbie?   Absolutely NOT.

If I thought so,  why on earth would I insist on having a lot of complete
newbies at the festival every year?    I'm certainly never patronizing
anyone by having
them (and I"ve had to actively defend my stance of including newbies at
the
festival to more experienced players at times----there are a handful who
won't play the festival anymore because of it...........thinking it
lessens
the quality of the experience.

Miles Davis was playing with musicians in their early 20's at the end of
his
life.   Why?    Because he wanted to be on the cusp of
what is happening and he wanted to be inspired by these brilliant, yet not
completely accomplished minds.
His example completely inspires me and it says something about creavity, I
think.

In Zen Buddhism,  there is the concept of 'beginners'
mind'.....................that excitement one has when one is brand new
into
something they
are loving completely.   As with all things,  it's much easier to be in
that
excited, turned on, creative space when we are first in love with something
(from a musical style to a romantic interest to a new philosophy or
religion
to a new guitar).    It's a lot harder to recreate that experience over
and
over
again as we become more familiar with the new process.       A master
meditator in Zen Buddhism has the ability to conjure up 'beginners mind'
even
after having meditated for 30 or 40 years.     The ability to conjur
creativity all along the way is one of the great goals of art and music,
imho.

The process has nothing , intrinsically to do with
money.............making
it or not making it.

I wrote passionately at the start of this thread because I sensed a
resentment and an anger towards musicians who have made their entire
lives about making a living.    This was shocking to me , especially on
this
list, which has always been people by exceptionally creative people:
people
who , for the most part, have eschewed the dominant paradigms of music and
commerce in this culture (let's call it Western culture though that's a
terribly
lame an inexact title).

   When I was young, 'making it in music' was what almost every musician I
knew aspired to, so I've been having some culture
shock around the fact that much of our culture lately feels like it's okay
to take music from someone off the web with compensating the musicians
who both invested and made it.  There's a rise in the attitude that
professional musicians are somehow part of the exploitive musical system
that
almost everybody feels oppressed by.   This is just so nuts to me,  but
it's
quite obvious now that not everyone sees it this way here.

You also wrote:
"Can I possibly do better with Garageband than a teenager with hours every
night to surf the web for beats and samples? Not likely."

I know that you later qualified this in your letter but I hear people talk
like this so much that I wanted to respond to the concept:

To me,  this so totally misses the point of creativity.    I don't think
it's important to worry about such considerations for this reason.
(and forgive me in advance for reposting this anecdote,  but I think it
speaks so strongly to this discussion).

BRIAN ENO's anecdote about losing creativity

The great ambient/performance artists Brian Eno was once asked by a
journalist if there were ever days where
he felt bereft of creativity (considering every day he is payed handsomely
to be creative, whether doing an art installation or producing a record by
Talking Heads).

To the surprise of the reporter, Eno said,  "No".

"Why is that?"    asked the reporter.

"Well,"  Eno answered, " if you took every single person on this planet
who
could comply with your wishes (whether they were young or old, man or
woman,
intelligent or retarded) and gave them a piece of paper and a red crayon
and
asked them to draw you a picture of a house and a tree it would produce 3
or
4 billion drawings of a house and a tree.     Not one of those drawings
would be the same.  Not one!!! "

And yet, a house and a tree are not made of red wax and white
cellulose..................so each unique drawing would be the result of
that person filtering their vision of the world through whatever technique
(or lack of technique) they have and then creating an analogue of that
vision on the piece of paper.   Each person, consequently,  would have
CREATED something totally unique with their drawing.

He continued "Human beings don't have to worry about whether they are
creative or original....................they just have to DO.'

note: this is a paraphrase of a this quotation,  heard from someone who
had
heard him say this live...........I wasn't there but the spirit remains
the
same.

***********
So,  it's a different day..........a different era.   Quite obviously, a
larger percentage of talented and innovative young musicians in this
culture are headed toward DJing and Remixing and making their own
Electronic
Music tracks than they are moving towards
mastering guitar or other instruments.   Of course, you see wonderful
young
musicians everywhere using very different modes of expressing themselves
musically but in my thirty years of teaching trapset and percussion
students,  I'm just not seeing very many serious students of the drums
anymore.
For sure they're out there, but I think a typical kid is drawn to
different
things (my apologies to all punk, emo and indie rocker, jazz and country
kids out there)
and so that's where the creativity is going.

My advice is to correspond with that kid who has all the time in the world
to surf for samples and collaborate with them!

And, of course,  keep doing the really cool things I've seen you do before
with your own music.

respectfully,   Rick