Yunghcen Lhamo: the Voice of Tibet learns to live loop

I spent an hour yesterday after jamming with my brother Bill  and Yungchen
Lhamo, the wonderful
singer from Tibet:  teaching her how to use a Line 6 DL-4.

She was enthralled................and kept giggling in a very delightful
way
as
Jim Goodin and I stepped her through her first live looping lesson.

She was able to loop drones and change octaves and reverse sounds by the
end
of our lesson.

She also asked me to mail her information about what equipment to buy so
that she
can loop and record herself onto her computer  at her home in the Bronx
(near her dear friend
and looping maestro,  Todd Reynolds).

***************************

I don't know if you all are familiar with her story but it's an incredible
one.

Taught the ancient songs by her grandmother as a very young girl,  she
walked 1,000 miles crossing
the Himalaya to escape the violent oppression of the Tibetan people (and
specifically of the musicians of Tibet)
caused by the Chinese Cultural Revolution.

The Dalai Lama saw her singing when she was 17 years old and he told her
that her karma
in life was to take the musical and spiritual culture of the Tibetan
people
to the world;
something she has done all of her life.

She has at least two CDs out on Peter Gabriel's Real World label and a
who's
who of the
famous pop musical world celebrities who've improvised with her, from
Michael Stipe
to Billy Corgan, etc.

She's an amazing singer,   and a truly beautiful woman both spiritually
and
physically.
It was just an amazing treat to get her going with looping.

"When I left Tibet, I lost everything," Yungchen recalls.
"The one thing I didn't lose was my voice. And this I carried with me to
the
West."

check out her website at
www.yungchenlhamo.com