Re: Guitar Pickup

K&K PIckups are incredible. I have the three way pickup in two guitars - mine (Collings) and Hayley's (Webber).

When we first started recording Hayley's record I bought about $10K worth of Neumann and Sennheiser mic's. Mike Gillies, who mixes and does tech work at Metallica's studio was helping. After the mic's I got the K&Ks and put one in Hayley's guitar. Mike said, "Gee... we don't need any mic's now!"

I was pissed to say the least. But the pickups are very close to the real thing for me.

Use Lithium batteries.

We DID use mic's.

I have a Sunrise in my 12 string that I also like. No feedback. But it doesn't sound as good as the K&K. Great for distorto pedals etc.

Schatten in Canada makes GREAT banjo and resonator guitar pickups. I have one in a Phillips resonator guitar and it is probably the most EASY to enjoy of my guitars. I got a Ultrasound pre amp from them too that's very cool. Cheap. The K&K banjo pickup is nice but is so big it muffles the sound of the banjo live.

www.schattendesign.com

You don't need a pre amp with the K&Ks. They have one that goes inside the guitar. I can't comment on the other K&K's 'cause I haven't used them. Mine is the Power Mix Trinity:

http://www.kksound.com/powerblendtrinity.html

I have a Highlander in my little parlor Webber guitar. It's nice. Makes it sound like a Tele or something. I don't use the mic part. But it's not as real sounding as the K&K by any means. I wish that guitar had 14 frets to the neck. It sounds great thru the pedal board and amp.

The mic on the K&K is wonderful for recording when you want a really accurate sound. Awful live unless you love uncontrolled feedback. The howl of death.

Haven't tried the RMC pickups (I think I got the name right) but they look VERY cool.

AXON is coming out with a new MIDI pickup in May that' I'm interested in. ANyone know anything about it?

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.
www.glassWing.com www.richardsales.com