BEMF4 and Virutal Performers in Audio-Video

This year's festival hasn't even begun, and I'm already thinking about next year.  Next year I would like to expand my horizons. I figure that if I can't bring all the people I want from other countries to the festival, I'm going to bring them their virtually.  Next year, I am thinking of having a fair amount of virtual performers at the festival...not like Ninjam, etc, but featured performers on the main schedule and projected on a giant video screen on the stage with audio video.

Anyone out there know much about the technology required to do this?  I am not too much concerned about latency, but more interesting in audio/video quality.  I've done some experimenting with just the video functionality of various instant messengers, and some aren't too bad if you have a decent web cam.

Thoughts? Ideas? I really want to do this, and if I can pull this off with decent quality, next year I will feature 50% of the performers as virtual, and may even blend that with the local performers.

Kris

Krispen Hartung
Boise Experimental Music Festival
Event Coordinator and Artistic Director