Re: Quick Looperlative question

At 2:30 AM -0700 5/26/08, Cara Quinn wrote:

>  Out of curiosity, which pitch shifter are you using?  I'm using a
>Digitech Studio Vocalist EX
>  for pitch / timbre effects at the moment, with my EDP.

I've got an Alesis Akira dedicated to my LP-1's Aux 1.  Of course, the
Akira does a whole lot
more than just pitch-shifting effects; it's one of the most whacked out
multi-FX one could find.

There are much higher-quality shifters out there (Eventide, of course, and
I've got a killer
Helicon VoiceWorks unit that I keep dedicated to my wind synth setup).
However, after discovering
the joys of the Repeater's pitch-shift aliasing, I decided to use a
less-than-perfect unit for the
pitch manipulation.  Oh, the Akira tracks just fine, but it also degrades
in an interesting manner
the further you get off standard pitch.  Which, FWIW, is one of the best
adjectives I can think of
to describe the Akira overall: interesting.

I'd imagine you should be able to get some nice warpage out of the
Digitech unit too.  I haven't
used the Vocalist series very much.  But lately I've been quite interested
in checking out the
DOD VOFX (not VOTec) pedal because it seems to have some interesting and
bizarre applications.
I'd hope some of that character would have gotten transferred into its
Digitech siblings.

On the LP-1's Aux 2 output I've got a Korg KAOSS KP3.  It won't do much
for pitch shifting, but
it's great for some filter or granular/sampling effects without having to
go to the trouble of
hooking up the laptop.

Depending upon your mixer setup, it's relatively easy to bounce and
re-record the effected loop
tracks back into the Looperlative.  Just route out of one/both of the
Auxes, then back into the
LP-1's input (watch out for feedback loops!).  If you wanted you could
re-bounce several times,
adding a new effect with each pass.  I use an Alesis ZoneMix6 for my mixer
because it's small
(1U rackmount) and transparent, but you should be able to do this with
just about any decent unit.

Let us know if you have any more concerns about the Looperlative.  We'll
be glad to help.  It
really is a great unit.  But you're the only one who can make the final
call if it's the right
looper for you.

        --m.

_____
"the wind in my heart; the dust in my head...."