Re: Let's play a game- it's called Imagine The Perfect Looper

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:07 AM, nick ingvoldstad
<nickingvoldstad@gmail.com> wrote:

> ---------------------------
> For those who don't like to start out "in the music" there could be
> "functionality presets" in the preferences so they can start out "in
> the looper".
> ---------------------------
> I'm not sure what you mean by this, could you elaborate?
>

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many people prefer to adapt their music to a fixed feature set of a
looping device, especially if new to looping (As opposed to an
experienced looper muso that thinks about "Reversed and HalfSpeed" etc
on the same level of creative thinking as he might think about "Adding
a tritonus note to this chord"). When you are a beginner you simply
don't yet have gained the intellectual tools for thinking creatively
about looping the same way you may think about plain "music". So, in
order to get going and start out in looping it may make sense to tic
the "Easy beginner's functionality setup" as your preferred
Functionality Preset. The opposite would of course be to set the
device to function with all possible functions active and then set up
a MIDI controller so you play it fluently on that level of
expressiveness.

> Per forgot

No, I did not forget. I simply decided not to mention it because the
original poster never stated if the plan is for creating a software
looper or have it built into a dedicated piece of hardware. If we're
talking software all that is already taken care of by the computer
used to run the looper.

>to mention that it should have MIDI, Firewire, USB2, and
> optical interfaces to work cross-platform with "NIX, Mac, and PCs, and
> have 3 expression pedal inputs, too.
> ---------------------------
> I do like the idea of having it interface with MIDI, Firewire, and USB.

Ok, this seems to indicate the plans are for a hardware integrated looper.

> If this becomes expensive it might just have to be USB and MIDI.  What
>would
> the advantage of having Firewire capabilities along with USB be?

If the interface is to be used for streaming audio, Firewire is a
better protocol for that purpose. Going with USB could be dangerous,
from a marketing point of view, since there are many really bad USB
audio interfaces out there. It's probable that people that buy such
lousy gear don't know that it's bad and from this follows they might
think it is your looper that is going havoc when they run into
problems.

> ---------------------------
> I like the idea of multiple inputs and corresponding outputs for each
>track
> if one wishes, along with one 1/4" output for the sum of all, if that's
>all
> one needs.  It SHOULD cost less than $500, I am not planning for it to be
> more than that.

Good mic preamps are rather expensive. How about offering only one mic
preamp, one guitar level, one line level and also an optical ADAT pipe
on the back? That would make it possible to digitally take out effect
loops from eight tracks and treat them in and Eventide or TC box, or
on a laptop (going digital means no latency, and the system becomes
limitless). It also means you can connect a laptop and record eight
looping tracks simultaneously as eight parallel audio file tracks to
be produced and mixed. I'm doing all that now with software looping
and I'm not sure I'd like to sacrifice such a good tool (ADAT jack)
just for going with one laptop less in the rig.

> ---------------------------
> Instead of starting with a market segment or a price range in mind, I am
> starting with its functionality.  I am disregarding the issues of price
>and
> difficulty of development while I solidify its concept and features.
>Once I
> have a prototype, I will begin researching development costs and then I
>will
> start primming and tweaking based on these "reality checks", cost and
> development.  In the end, I would say this would be mid-range, with its
> price between $100 - $500.  I would like to offer many of the features
>that
> existing machines do, selling it for much cheaper.  Though researching
>many
> of the products out right now, much of the more superfluous features
>will be
> excluded without question.  Like the Echoplex's Substitute feature....

Woops... .I'm out than. Thanks for the peep! ;-)

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)