Re: delia derbyshire video

Zoe,

Yeah, I grew up with the classic old BBC series too (rebroadcast in the
USA on PBSof course).

It has remained a sort of guilty pleasure over the years (including
it's current reincarnation and spin-offs).

My wifa nd my children have all come to love the old goofy, corny,
campy old Brit si-fi enterprise as well.

One of the first things my youngest son (a freshman in high school)
sought to teach himself to play on his clarinett was the "Dr. Who
Theme."

I guess the story goes that although Ron Grainer was given the original
task of creating the score for the show, he subsequently heard some of
Derbyshire's music and (humbly and appropriately) realized it would be
even more perfect for the job. However, Delia was not a member of the
musician's union (or some other politic requisite of the time) and the
BBC was forced by said organization to delete or "demote" her in the
end credits (not being a supposedly accredited "musician" - no category
for "electronic musician" existing at the time). Plus it probably
didn't help that she was a woman edging in on an "old boy's" network
either. So, Grainer has been given public credit over the years for
music that was likely entirely Delia Derbyshire's and she given the
patriarchal pat-on-the-head (slap in the face) as in the "realized by"
credit. To give Grainer own credit, I understand it was he who fought
for her to be given full credit at first . . .   and at least that much
as a compromise (the union and the BBC intended to leave her off
altogether).

Look it all up on Wikipedia sometime.

Cheers . . .

Ted Killian.