Re: OT- literature

Anything by William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Neil Gaiman, Thomas Ligotti, H.P. Lovecraft, Harry Harrison (especially the Stainless Steel Rat series).

Gibson and the cyberpunk type of books certainly were influential.  If you haven't read them, they'd be on the top of my list.

Since you liked Vonnegut, find a copy of his son Mark's book "The Eden Express"