Re: new hardware vst box

Jeff Larson schrieb:
> Plugins that follow the VST spec very closely may work but those that
> make direct OS calls (like say Mobius) won't.

I think they still may work. As far as I know they use wine on a linux
machine to translate the os calls.

> The UI is also a huge issue.  This thing seems well suited for "set
> and forget" synth and effect plugin chains but not for things that you
> do a lot of interacting with during a performance.  I would have to
> write a custom UI for their little display.

That is the main drawback. I doubt that a laptop has really any
disadvantage over a hardware box (which is  just hiding a computer
inside). I am running Powerbooks for years live. They come with a huge
display, and if something doesn't run, you'll also get better support.
Though these vst boxes are a medicine for musicians with the wide spread
CPD disease (Computer Phobic Disorder). For those with EGCD (Expensive
Gear Collecting Disorder) it might release some pain as well...
Like everything in pharmacy it has its price, maybe your health
insurance is willing to cover it...

If these boxes will drop in price below a decent computer/interface
combo though, it is eventually considerable, but how should that ever be
possible? Think about it...

Stefan

--
Stefan Tiedje------------x-------