AW: OT: new Macbook wíthOUT Firewire :(

Per, you wrote:

> it fully sufficient. I would think different though if I was up to
> making multi track recordings, as when recording twenty mic inputs at
> one go. But for everything else FW 400 is as good as FW 800.

I'm a little bit curious about this bandwidth issue for firewire when used
for digital audio. Now if I understand this correctly, one of the big
plusses of FireWire over, say, USB2, is that it works extremely well
(meaning: low overhead) for streams.

Now if we assume you record twenty mic inputs, and if we furthermore assume
you record them in 24/96, then simple math gives us a data rate of 20
(channels) * 96000 (samples per second) * 24 (bits per sample) = 44Mbit/s
(rounded up). With a data rate of 400 MBit/s with FW400, this shouldn't be
problem? What am I missing here?

        Rainer