OT: Zoom H4 bass response

i did sound for a buddy's band recently. there were some onstage
problems, the biggest of which was an unplugged patch cord between the
bass head and cabinet(we found out later). i could tell the bass player
couldn't hear himself so i put some bass thru the monitors. the stage
sound was one big rumble, they told me later, but i did the best i could
to give them a good sound out front. from my perception i thought they
sounded pretty good. however, the show was recorded on a zoom h4 with
the onboard mics and the recording is fairly bass heavy, not at all what
i remember it sounding like. the h4 was sitting an arm's length away
from me on a table about 25' in front of the band. the room was about
40' x 40'. not very full with a concrete floor. so, why such a
difference between the recording and my recollection of the sound? how
accurate is the bass response on the h4 mics? or is it me? i do tend to
prefer more bass in my mixes, whether playing or listening, but not at
the expense of the rest of the frequencies. a good balance is always the
goal. any ideas?

thanks,
shayne