Re: Performing with Multiple Looped Sections

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Travis, my plan is to come onto the stage with a blank slate and start recording loops on the spot. I understand certain sections would have a major dropoff in noise and intensity if I begin a new section from scratch, but I have some plans in mind (not to mention Rainer's suggestions - which I think are very clever) to make the performance feel natural.

As far as independent signal control, I'm trying to figure out how to send each instrument's signal separately to the house PA system, so that the live mixer can mix the guitar, the bass, the drums, etc. on separate channels of his board. I think using software would lend me the greatest flexibility cuz I can add any audio interface I want to my computer, but Bob's LP-1 is also a great option with the 2 stereo aux outs. Am I spot on with this assessment?

Using Ableton Live, as Chris and Rainer mentioned, is also an option I've been looking into. Mobius seems to be getting a lot of love - I briefly looked into that program, as well as Augustus Loop. Looks like I'll have to research Mobius a bit more. Any additional resources or tips you guys can send my way with regards to using Mobius within Live?

Per, that's a great comparison chart by the way. I'm glad Rainer provided me the link. I'm trying to tread softly here with my questions, since I'm very new to looping and my questions have probably been addressed in the past (I've been digging through the mailing list archives but it's not the easiest database to search through). That software EDP sounds very interesting.

Lastly, now that I know my biggest concern about separate looping sections can actually work, I'm wondering which devices lend itself well to multiple MIDI foot controllers. I'd like one foot controller to be next to the drum set, another up in front of the stage, etc. so that I have quick access to controlling the loops and playback. Would all the mentioned devices be able to perform this way?

I'm starting to regret not picking up a couple of EDPs when it was on clearance a while back.

Thanks again.