OT: live/firebox/kaoss pad problems (not sure which but something's wrong)

Nick,

don't know whether I followed all of the steps you used so far, but to
pinpoint the failure exactly to the Firebox (which I assume you're
trying to do):

Take a source which you know which works. As you will also be testing
line inputs, it shouldn't be a microphone. A synthesizer, a tape deck,
a CD player...whatever.

Connect the Firebox to your computer, don't start any Ableton Live
etc., only start the Firebox Mixer software.

Configure it so the Firebox's headphones monitor the sw mixer output
(I believe you have to lick on the "Main" button in that left row of
buttons).

Connect your "known good" source to the inputs you want to test (3+4
in your example).

Solo these tracks and see if you can hear them in your headphones. Of
course, knowing that the headphone output works helps here, but you
should be able to test that e.g. with Live.

If it works, then the inputs are obviously ok.

            Rainer