Re: LiveLooping on vinyl: Amy X. Neuberg in New York Saturday Night

Daryl Shawn wrote:
> Thanks much for the review, Bill. Did Recordios only do acetate 78's?
> Doesn't seem like the idea would work very well if people could only
> listen to their home recordings twice.
Sorry, but I was only repeating what I heard someone say at the show.  I
had never heard of Recordio prior to the show.  Please be aware that I
am assuming that the media was an acetate.  They were being played on
victrolas which bear down with a real "needle" which would explain the
destructive effects on an acetate.
> I'm now consumed by the desire to get one of these and modify it to
> cut fixed grooves...seems like one could put a lot of loops on a
> single record. At 78 rpm, they'd be pretty short loops, but such
> analog loveliness it would be.
Warning, no loops were made.  Two acetates were made.  The tempo was set
by the little keyboard's rhythm section and each recording was of equal
length.  Both acetates were played back more or less in sync... which
was done manually so you could hear the two victrolas go out of sync and
then Steve would adjust the speed on one to bring things back into
relatively close sync.

Making a loop seems like it would be problematic since it would have to
be done within a single revolution.  As soon as the cutting needle cuts
into the beginning of the groove, you'd have to IMMEDIATELY stop
recording or you'd be ruining the beginning of the loop.  Aiming for AND
hitting the beginning of a groove seems like it would take a LOT of luck
and practice.  Loops longer than one revolution are impossible since
there'd be no way to get back to the beginning without crossing grooves.

>http://www.collectorsquest.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/portable-wilcox-gay-recordio.jpg
Unlike the hearty looking disc shown in this photo, Steve was using
black 12 inch acetates.

Cheers,

Bill