Re: Mahavishnu Orchestra: seminal recordings was: one guitarist one drummer

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:56 PM, SP Goodman <spgoodman@earthlight.net>
wrote:
> I had the frenzied privilege (though I didn't fully appreciate it at the
> time as I was a combination of heavily buzzed and concentrating on
>sneaking
> back home to NJ before my parents got home!) of seeing the concert in
> Central Park from which the "Between Nothingness and Eternity" album was
> taken, middle of August 1973.  I too remember the haircut situation with
> John M. - seemed like dissonance from what he sounded like on the radio
>of
> course... but when one saw him play, who @% cared if he had hair or not!

Wow, cool to hear you were there! I found that record second hand here
in Sweden in 1975 and totally loved it! But one side of the vinyl had
a crack and wasn't playable all through so I had to manually move the
pickup over the crack and sort of mentally imagine how the "non
cracked" flow of music would be. Just recently I found it again as mp3
files on some music sharing community and could fully enjoy the second
side of that disc (quite some years later, he. he... ) Rather lousy
recording but the great playing from the band makes up for that many
times. This live album is as close I ever got to hear the band play
live, much better than the studio album IMHO.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)