Re: distortion, overdrive,fuzz,crunch,special sauce, secret goo

 Me personally, I wasn’t trying to make a value judgment of any kind, just stating an aesthetic preference. I like overdrive more than fuzz or distortion.  Perhaps my older,  more ear damaged ears prefer the soft clipping of overdrive, either natural amp or pedal or better yet, an exciting mélange of the two! Yummy, talk about secret sauce,  Boo! Ya! ……..Also I find a good  overdrive is more use-able throughout its distortion  range, whereas many distortion and fuzz pedals reach a point of saturation well  below the potentiometers full range, where they don’t seem to give you any more distortion, but they add noise and mud and so much compression that you cease to have any dynamic range.  As far as the issue of hiding behind a wall of distortion to hide bad technique……..Hey I used to do that J   obviously, different styles require different instruments and string gauges. A shredder dude would have difficulty adjusting to the kind of strings a jazzbo uses, and vice versa . I’m always amused when a shredder dude picks up my strat or tele strung with heavier strings and tries to do the speed thing, its equally amusing when a jazz guy picks up a metal guitar with ultra light strings and can’t handle the mushy response. I would agree that playing clean will help ones technique to become cleaner, but from what I can tell, a guy like Steve Vai has exceptionally refined technique, and also has developed an extremely light left hand touch, which is valid technique no matter what style you play. Principles of good technique apply no matter what guitar you are playing or what gauge of strings. I actually encourage young students to pick up the electric guitar first if that is what excites them. I am not convinced that one has to start with acoustic before moving to electric, although that is the conventional wisdom. From what I have seen in my nearly 30 years as a private teacher is using the “ you gotta start on clarinet if you want to play saxophone”  model  can just as easily destroy a young students desire to learn, as it can motivate them. I’ve never had a student who started on electric and really got bitten by the music bug, fail to  show interest in picking up the acoustic guitar at some point in their development.

Bill