Re: here and now / evolving loops

Thanks for the post Fabio,

More and more I am exploring the use of variable feedback to keep my loops evolving.  My cc pedal assigned to feedback gets more use than my track volume pedal,  as I’ll use it to quickly remove a note or portion of the sample (dubbing by removal) , I love deconstructing a loop this way, and it seems to create smoother less stuttery results than when I use replace for the same purpose. Also, as I probably have mentioned before you can create dramatic tremolo effects by rocking the feedback pedal back and forth, including tremolo effects you can’t get with an actual tremolo pedal. Expression pedals with the fastest response work best. I use Roland ev-5’s, they seem to work ok and I like the range knob as you can quickly change the pedals response without recalibrating my midi foot controller.  I also use the feedback pedal to fade tracks out gradually as I’m recording new material to replace them to keep the loops from getting to static..   A strategy I’ve been using in this way, has been to build up a group of tracks and apply feedback to all of them anywhere from 40%-75% depending how quickly I want things to fade. Naturally the loops of fewer bars will fade away more quickly leaving the longer loops playing. I then start replacing the shorter tracks with new material as the longer tracks continue to fade.   Even if I’m staying in one tonal center and replacing tracks with similar content,  this use of feedback to morph tracks helps keep the loops from getting too static and create more ebb and flow to the music..  I’ll use multiply when creating several tracks in such a way that I might have track 1 be 1bar in length, track 2 be 2 bars , track 3 be 4 bars, etc, , Using this technique to end a tune,  my last track before bringing the music to a conclusion, might be a solo or long melodic theme that might be several bars in length.  Finally I will apply feedback to all the tracks which I will vary starting at about 75% and gradually dropping to 0%. I love that all that remains as the tracks are fading away, is the long melody at the end that I can continue to play with and support as I soften the dynamics of my playing, and the tune finally fades.  The analogy comes to mind of everyone in the marching band continuing down the street and around the corner as the lone clarinetist stays behind to serenade the crowd.

It’s a windy, partly cloudy, partly sunny, mostly rainy Christmas day so far.

 A fine day for looping, if you ask me.

Bill