Re: OT Egberto Gismonti

On 27 Dec 2008, at 23:04, Marc Marshall wrote:

> wow, never heard of criticism of low pitched strings sounded bad.

oh, ask anyone who builds instruments. there is a fundamental
resonance which depends on the instrument size and below that, the box
does not amplify the string any more (load speakers have a similar
problem)
so if you tune the string below that resonance, its fundamental almost
disappears.

> hey man to each his own!!

sure, I am not saying its not possible to make music without the
fundamentals :-)

> I would argue that just because YOU may not like his sound does not
> mean
> that HE doesn't care about sound.

thats also true. thats why I said "I feel..." :-)
and its not just due to the guitar, but also the way he used synth...

and he is not the only one, lots of excellent musicians think of sound
as a minor factor, or even love lofi
every musician sets different priorities and has different talents with:
rhythm
melody
harmony
phrasing
sound
public relation
visual
,,,
and I am clearly a sound and phrasing guy

I even criticize some famous classical cello sonatas because the
virtuoso composition does not leave time for the single notes to
develop :-)

> You are of course free to not like it.
> I dare to say you would never stand to listen to Sonic Youth or Glen
> Branca or the whole guitar tuned to just one note thing.

sorry, I never tried to listen to those artists... when my internet is
back, I will try!
Matthias