Re: What does it mean to you, to "release a record"?

Hi all

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the impression that there are artists
with different intentions out there:

A: Established artist with no major-label aspirations, making money mostly
through gigs & various projects etc => Launch a variety of media to get
attention by different people in order to get hired
B: Artist making enough money in his daytime job => artistic expression
without compromise, CDs etc mainly as self-expression
C: Young promising acts hoping for a major label deal => Present focused,
little material in perfect quality, try to appeal to mass market & draw
record label attention

I would presume that most people on this list are category A or B. So I
think putting a variety of stuff on the web would make sense for you to
promote you as an artist (to be hired) or simply because you enjoy putting
out whatever the heck you feel like. :)
Then again, if some young promising artists (category C) really seriously
aim for a major label deal, it might be wiser - I guess - similar to Per's
initial advice to pay attention on posting only premium-quality stuff on
the internet, and also keep the content very focused.

Like, I was approached with an online invitation by a young French band
YEFFI. They contacted me based on some playlist preferences. I did like
their music, indeed. And I think they have presented themselves very well
on the web for their goal: http://www.myspace.com/yeffiband

Anyway, this were just some observations. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.
You might know much more about the music industry.

@Mark: how on earth did you miss the chance to meet Boy George?? ;-)  Aah,
the good old 80ies...

best regards
Buzap