WAAAY OT: On transience, sad beauty,

Dennis Moser wrote me the following (reprinted with his permission
at the bottom of the page) to which I am replying here (just an excerpt of
a longer letter than doesn't concern this subject), in public:

Thanks for writing, Dennis.

I did get my feelings hurt but I own those feelings completely and
apologize that I misread the tenor of your post.
You are quite kind to take the time to write a reasonable reply
and I thank you for it.

Now, to go find your music to listen to.............

..........Thanks for writing and , again,  my apologies for over
reacting...........

yours,   in the loop,   Rick

*_Dennis Moser wrote:
Rick, Happy New Year! but lighten up, dude!

You don't know me or my music very well, or you would not have taken my
post so negatively ... go back and re-read what I said carefully. I'm
not knocking ANYBODY for what they have said, felt, or expressed ...
it's really more about the "tenor of the times" and let's face it, try
and name five people you know who don't get a little sentimental this
time of year (the past two weeks or so).

BTW, that's an awfully narrow definition of maudlin; check these out to
get a better sense of how I use the word:

http://www.answers.com/topic/maudlin

http://www.english-test.net/gmat/vocabulary/meanings/109/gmat-words.php#maudlin

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/maudlin (one of the most
intriguing explanations of the word's etymology I've come across)

http://thinkexist.com/dictionary/meaning/maudlin/

http://www.dictionary.net/maudlin

...in other words, I was simply making the observation that we were
getting VERY sentimental. But so what? No harm, no foul. It wasn't a
"critical" observation and I certainly didn't deserve to be addressed in
such a brusque manner on the whole list. You're points about the "stiff
upper lip" syndrome are spot on, but how do you know what my
patri-matrilineage is? For all you know I could be Afro-American, half
Chinese, or Lithuanian ... you have made an assumption about me that may
or may not be correct.

I noticed that you have just discovered Aarvo Pärt. Pärt's music is a
wonderful example of the sheer elegance of melody and simple, open
harmonies ... I hadn't gotten to him on my list of favorites only
because i was running out of time this morning when I posted my note.
The discussion has now drifted out from the classical realm into world
and popular music ... which is kind of what i was getting at when I
started off by talking about Ravi Shankar ... go listen to any of his
performances of any raga, keeping in mind that I adore his music and
then consider what I said. I was being ANYTHING but critical ...

Best,

Dennis_*