From: richard sales <richard@glasswing.com>
Subject: Re: Washington, DC Sonic Circuits Experimental Music Festival on NPR
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Date: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 11:17 PM

I think DC had a pretty vibrant electronic music thing going on a long time ago.  I recorded a band called Mars Everywhere... or members of it, way back.  It seems there was a pretty strong community back then.... and I'd reckon that was maybe 83 or so.  Did Random Radar records start there?  I can't remember.

Of course we did Circus Underwater there in 81.  That was Eno-esque/Frippish Roland Guitar Synth/ with a dash of maybe Coltrane/Miles Davis.  All the random length loops colliding at will etc.  It was a pretty heady time with programs like M and.... I can't remember all of the sequence generating programs we were using at the time.

There was always wonderful music there - being sort of the crossroads of north and south with really great country and black music mashing together like elephants and rhinos in the Hadron Collider.  It's just, when you live on the bullseye, you feel like you're always in the crosshairs.  There were times when the pressure was quite tangible.

Good for NPR for writing about this club.

and thanks for pointing it out, Ed

Richard

richard sales