Re: OT Re: Beer Budget CD Release ...headache from cds

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Matt Davignon <mattdavignon@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'd even go a step further - is this mastering even intended for cd's?
> I think it's intended for radio, where the track will seem less of a
> stand-out than the tracks before & after it if it's quieter.

You're perfectly right. It all started because CD's were played on
radio and the record labels thought it would be wise to make the CD's
sound like radio right from the beginning - just to be safe that their
release would not sound less "loud n' clear" than the proceeding track
on a radio show.

Musicians and mastering people have not been too hot on these ideas,
since it's more serving a marketing aspect than an artistic.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com