Re: OT top affordable microphones (was headache from cds)

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 1:50 PM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
mark francombe wrote:

An only just discoverd feature of my Zoom h4 is mike emulation... So... whats up with that? Does it work, is it nonsense, if theres something in it, why dont they just emulate the 10 best mikes, and watch them all go out of business as they flood the market at a tenth of the price...

I think it's nonsense
...and I reckon you do too ;-)
Well yes.. I was sceptical.. HOWEVER... Isnt this basically the same technology as amp modelling and VG bla bla... so thats all nonsense too??

I suspect that it IS possible to emulate some aspects of a mike... the eq maybe? But Dynamic Range? Would that possible in software.. well I suppose so, it only compression.. well Freq res then.. I guess that the orginal h4 mikes are going to limit what any emulation can do...

Interestingly, there is not much about this feature in the H4 manual... maybe they thru it in there... and they aint that proud of it...

Mark

www.markfrancombe.com
http://vimeo.com/user825094
http://uk.youtube.com/user/markfrancombe