Re: DEFINING CULTURAL YEAR of the DECADE

i am just reading this post,Our decade is an interesting one...once i
played a gig where someone in the audience said out loud "thats too sad
can you play something else?as if their time is too precious to listen to
something they arent familiar with.
As i said previously melancholy isnt hip at the moment,everything is
supposed to be happy and functional because there is no time for anything
else,though our world doesnt seem any happier than past decades.
I think in the 50īs the happy craze was a bit more justified,coming from
past economic depressions lots of wealth and basically a lot of naive
going around.
Then the 60s and 70s.Compare for instance a lot of those mega hits from
the 70s to what the radio is playing today,they werent very happy
really,you know things like ELP still you turn me on,from the begining,or
dust in the wind, or stairway to heaven or solsbury hill or gold dust
woman,the chain,night in white satin,going to california,comfortably numb
etc. the list goes on.And some of this werent even complying with the 3
minute hit formula!
I dont know how it feels for those playing live out there today,for me it
seems people are in fact searching for something but they are not sure
what path they should follow and be part of,so they all keep waiting for
somebody(mostly the media) to take over and say,yes this is it,this will
define our decade so lets start wearing this clothes and listening to this
etc.It also seems to me that the culture which defines the decade always
starts with a group of people in a sort of an underground social gathering
and becomes an elite movement so the media picks up on it and "bang"!
everybody wants to be part of it,and capitalizing starts and at the end it
really doesnt have much to do with the music.
In my opinion now people arent just getting together physically enough
anymore,look at cinemas struggling,concert attendance and other source of
culture entertainment.Look at a lot of the pubs also closing down,because
all those fess they have to deal with.Jam sessions are becoming hard to
find.A lot of people have also stopped going to the pubs here in Germany
as well because of the new smoking regulations.
Flying has become a hassle as well,i just read that U.S visitors are going
to have a tougher time traveling into the country because of new upcoming
homeland security mesures.So in a way,even with so much comunication
around us we have become a lot more decentralized.
you might have already seen the series of this,but is a good example i
think of what we are talking about though you might want to see all parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhFIelGYH94&feature=related

So the culture definiton of our decade might just be a "virtual one",hey
now we dont even have to brainstorm to write a song, we have Microsofts
songsmith!

www.myspace.com/luisangulocom