Re: vst plugin - looper

That is exactly what I am "thinking" yes :)

When designing the Master mode for Syncopath I decided to use an different approach than regular MIDI Clock because of the lack of phase-offset in this 1983 technology.
Syncopath does not actually send MIDI clock, it sends a constantly updating BPM value with 2 decimals, such as 126,37 BPM by splitting up this number into 3 Control Change commands.
On top of that it sends pulses every beat and every bar (the offset) and these things are all sent via regular MIDI to SyncVSTMaster.

From here SyncVSTMaster takes over as the standalone program it is and sends a MIDI clock that is based on the premise of looping.
This means that it constantly re-initiates the MIDI clock according to the bar/beat and tempo information received from Syncopath and all you have to do is decide how many bars you want to loop in your Host.
Obviously, a shorter loop in the Host works better than a long one, but regardless, every time your loop in Syncopath hits that bar, the synchronization with your Slave-Host gets re-aligned once more to cancel out any possible drifting.
You can pause/resume, stop/restart the Syncopath, and the sync (even with Abletons smoothing) keeps working.

I guess I should have mentioned in the post that this is basically a Syncopath only functionality - as far as I know - but I don't want to sound too much like a commercial ;)
It is where the name comes from, and the whole reason for creating the software... the Path of Synchronization.

To be completely frank, while Syncopath feels and handles like an overdubbing looper, it is technically not.
It is an "auto-retriggering live sampler" where the 3 tracks simple are not capable of getting out of sync.
One loop can be 3 beats long while another is 7 beats but they will always meet where they are supposed to, whether you like it or not (in that example being every 21 beats).

When running as Slave to you Host, the synchronization, tempo and playback are controlled exclusively by the host on a per-sample basis, meaning exact synchronization (which is why the Host has to be playing in order for the looper to record anything in this mode).
When using it as a Master, SyncVSTMaster has to be used to establish the link and does what it can to keep the synchronization as exact as the other aspects of the looper.

Cheers,
Lasse