Re: OT DID YOU KNOW? A fascinating and eye opening video about changes in the digital media age

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Sjaak <tcplugin@scarlet.be> wrote:

Let me ask you another question: do Asians create some kind of
> experimental music? Ambient, Avant-Garde? Or do we consider these as
> strictly "Western" because of the culturale differences?
>
> Sjaak

In the world of classical music it has been discussed that eastern
musicians tend to be very technically skilled performers but with a
smaller percentage of players that get known for a unique take on
performing scored music. The explanation I have heard draws on the
typical eastern practice to fulfill tasks in teams. So teamwork and
ability to stay our of others way are skills that for example Japanese
children are encouraged to develop. In the western societies we have a
much bigger emphasize on the self promoting individual. So a German or
American child that makes an odd, but musical, version of a score may
get encouraged to develop that rather than go back and re-learn the
piece. I don't know if this still is the case in this century, though.

I was very excited to hear about these new eastern young international
entrepeneurs that refuse to speak Oxford English because they want to
stay with their original local accent English as statement - a way to
show off their origin to the world. I like that attitude and think it
will spread in the long run. It sure leads to a more interesting
world. And when thinking about composers in the non classical sphere I
think a lot of eastern folks do well in experimental music. An old
favorite of mine is Ryuichi Sakamoto, although he might rather be
described as "romantic". But Akira Yamaoka, another Japanese favorite
of mine, is indeed experimenting with sound and composition in such
odd scenes as Computer Game music and movie soundtrack/effect music.
He did all the Silent Hill games music and also the music of the movie
Silent Hill (which is a "must see" IMHO).

In the nineties I toured in South-East Asia and spend one week in each
of five different countries - working hard together with local folks
every minute I wasn't sleeping. I was amazed how much the local
cultures differ between the Asian countries. In Asia each country is
more unique compared to it's neigbouring countries than you will find
anywhere here in west. And then they still have this old language
Mandarin that almost everyone can read or write even if they can not
speak each others language. So in Mandarin all these gigantic
countries have a common background. And the fact that certain aspects
of culture hasn't changed in thousands of years is also interesting.
So I'm very excited to see in a couple of decades how this background
will affect these cultures as they reach out worldwide. I hope this
post better explains what I meant earlier today ;-))

If looking at history the Japanese culture doesn't even work the
concept of "leading the world" - Japanese are on the contrary know for
assimilating other cultures and "making them their own" - often in a
way we westerners find funny ;-)  I expect China to expand a lot in
many areas. When I was on touring around S-E Asia the Chinese were a
prominent part of "the new and coming businesses" in any other country
I came to. Except for Japan of course. In Thailand many (younger and
more dynamic) people told me that they loved "the Chinese invasion"
because the Chines did everything better and cheaper so having them
there working their ass off "brings a lot of good stuff to us". But I
was also told that some ("old and ignorant") folks don't like (what
they call) "the Chinese take-over".

With regard to Mark's note on Oslo ("there are no poor people in
Norway") I must say that this is a huge difference in Asia. For
example, in the Fillipines the record label folks was forbidden to
show us the parts of Manila where the most poor people live in
cardboard boxes on the ground. We happened to drive in there by
mistake anyway and they told us they felt ashamed with it. I guess the
same may be said for most of those countries - it's a long way to
Norway! ;-)) As a funny coincidence I just heard that Norway is the
first country in Europe to offer public service radio shows with music
as podcasts! I'd love to have that but I live on the wrong side of the
border. The Norwegian state owned radio has suceeded to negosiate
license deals with the composers and labels. Seems Norway can be
progressive since it is not too big and not too small either. And
quite rich ;-) An interesting country...

(jeez... thank you Loopers Delight for keeping up my speed typing
skills LOL  sorry for the length)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se