Re: nerds with toys

Personally, if I'm going to a live performance, I do like the performers to interact with the audience.  I don't mind the knob twiddling as long as the performer does acknowledge the existence of the audience.  People generally do expect more at a live performance than just a replay of the recording.  Honestly, that is one of the reasons that I don't go to many stadium shows.  Interaction between the artists and the audience makes the evening much more fun.

I have noted that my favorite looping performers have altered their styles over time to include a greater interaction with the audience.  They still do the same amount of knob twiddling, but use simple techniques of eye contact and stories between pieces to draw the audience in to what they are doing.

Bob