Re: loopers hard talk questions and answers

L.Angulo <labaloops@yahoo.com> was hypothetically all:

>3.nice but to my ears it sounds lifeless and monotonus
>4.why would i pay to see somebody just making noise? my kid could do that

Fair enough - try listening to someone different.

> 5.looping seems to me made for self indulged people that arent able to
>deal with other
>humans

I'd go far enough to say that probably all musicians could be called
self-indulgent.

The first part of the statement assumes that being able to deal with
other humans is a requirement for making good music. I enjoy dealing
with humans. When making music however, it's a lot more freeing to not
worry about how the other band members will feel about their parts, or
whether they'll get the same sounds that you want to hear. It's easier
to be productive in the way that you want to be productive, without
making concessions to accommodate other peoples' styles. Some of my
favorite band cds are ones where there's one or 2 members with the
ideas, and the rest of the band is just there to follow instructions.
In that context, can you see how it might be more effective for the
idea people just to make clones of themselves?

Also, if someone's act just involves playing guitar and singing, would
you accuse them of not being able to deal with people?

>and are incompetent to play the instrument properly without all that
>equipment

I think "being able to play an instrument properly" is a
subjectively-defined skill. Originally this comment was said about
punk rock and electronic music, but those genres both redefined how we
think about music. There's a lot more to making music than the ability
to move one's hands quickly along a fretboard.

Secondly, a guitar by itself is a completely different animal than a
guitar attached to a bunch of electronic looping gear. They require
different sets of skills to do well.

Matt Davignon
www.ribosomemusic.com