Re: OT: Frequency of SPAM

Mark,

 > How do you know? Is this a known fact?

Because that is the whole point of the Gmail business model: Google
gives you a 'free' email account with online storage against you giving
Google the right to scan your mail for keywords and present relevant
text-ads to you in the Gmail interface. It's quite clearly explained in
the terms and conditions you have to say yes to when you sign up for
Gmail. There's nothing underhand going on.

Personally, I find the ads in Gmail quite useful since they are truly
relevant to the things I am interested in. Obviously, if one is paranoid
it is probably not a good idea to use any online storage service
administered by a large multinational corporation - even one who claims
to 'do no evil'. But I trust Google enough, for the time being, to use
several of their online services.

Ian