Re: rackmount midi sequencer

mark francombe wrote:

> Question #2
>
> I havent tried to do this yet, and I could, but maybe Per remembers, or
> Andy knows.... but one clever thing I thought of wopuld be to program
> the settings of the edp via a drum machine. So instead of changing
> premade "presets", one uses the midi command for the PARAMETER button,
> and then the midi command to select the parameter, then the command to
> change the parameter. Now if I did this... how FAST would EDP accept
> these changes? could I program each command one 64th apart, faster?

In theory, it's possible and fast enough, though I don't know exactly how
fast.

One problem that would make it rather fiddly though.
When you've pressed Param, you're scrolling through the
settings, rather than being able to set an absolute value.
So a sequence of commands would change the parameters, but the result
would depend on what they were to start with.

eg

the button sequence Param>Param>Rec>Rec

would change RecMode from SAF to SUS,
or from TOG to SAF
or from SUS to TOG
...but would only do so if you weren't in Parameter Mode to start with.

...and that button sequence would leave you in Param Mode, from
which you could only exit with a Long Press of Param, which means it's
400mS before you can use any controls.

Reliably set (say) RecMode to SUS under any circumstance you'd have to do

LongParam (in case you were already in parameter mode)
Param
Param
LongRec (set Record to TOG, as longpress sets to default)
Rec

which is going to take >800mS

In short...it's very awkward.

It seems it's possible to do exactly what you want with Midi Sysex.
Claude Voit would know that, ( well Matthias *might* too ).
It's *kind of* in the loop4 manual at the end,
but not very explicit.

I have to admit that I've avoided looking into this,
and so far it's always been possible to do what I wanted without it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's buggy.

Having written all that...tell me *why* you want to change params so fast?
It's almost certainly possible to achieve what you want without changing
params at all.

andy
ps
these days the Gordius LG has a lot of sequencer like features,
including sync to incoming midi clock.