Re: OT: Tuning guitar in fifths/ my rant defending alt. tunings :-)

sorry to keep bringing this guy,the great songwriter Jose Gonzales uses
open tunings on a nylon string also check out Fink beautiful nylon string
open tuning composition.
But i think i know what u mean Daryl,as we say in spanish,"lo que importa
es la pluma" composition is the key not the tuning.I also use a lot of
open tunings but i share some of your feelings...this modal open tuning
steel string trend has become very technical and gymnastic oriented,what
starts as an inocent experiment becomes either poorly imitated or too
refined and technical which i personally loose interest in.I asked myself
why when i hear tunes with open tunings like David Crosbys Deja
vu,Guinevere,or Jimmy Pages Bron y aur,friends,4 and 20 by stephen stills
etc. they still turns me on more that some of that more technical youtube
open tuning stuff,then i soon realized that perhaps because...well now it
just sounds like an open tuning:-)

www.myspace.com/luisangulocom