Kaoss Pad + Live midi clock sync issues

Hey everyone,

I've been having a problem and I'm finally tired of it so I want to
fix it. I have an iMac running os x 10.5.6 (this has been happening
since like 10.5.2 so it's not a new issue, it has been going on since
I got everything), with a Kaoss pad hooked up to it set to sync midi
clocks with ableton over usb. The pad is set to external, ableton is
set to send midi clock, and os x recognizes the pad, yet half the time
when I turn on the pad it doesn't sync up. I can reboot my machine and
it syncs, but that isn't feasible if I go to a gig.

Does anyone else have a similar problem or know a way to fix this? I
don't know if it's connected, but if I turn the pad off then on os x
often loses track of it (doesn't appear in audio midi setup no matter
what I do) until a relog/reboot.

Thanks in advance!
Nick