OT need help with old Soundblaster card

Title:

For a music project in the near future I have reanimated an ancient selfwritten DOS program.

The program (running under DOS or in this case, Win98) creates midi output for the Soundblaster PCI card, I think it's this one:
http://m-ware.plentymarket.de/images/produkte/6406-s26.jpg
The soundcard has a midi out that uses one of these interface cables:
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/fit,400by400/soundcard_midi_male-be9f5dd1e650248a30b7b8663cd8f4f1.jpg

For some reason, the program runs but speaks only to the internal midi instruments, it doesn't seem to send midi signals out of the interface cable. I can go to system control and set midi output to "SB PCI external" or something, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'd appreciate if someone could help me with this.

-Michael