Re: OT That 'sizzle sound' of Mp3s

Just to clarity: I revere Hendrix and am clearly descended from his lineage. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to his (and Eddie Kramer's) godly contributions to the modern vernacular, both conceptually and electronically.  8-)

Maybe my beef is with Noel Redding specifically?  I can listen to Zep, Sabbath and many others on vinyl and feel the bass is adequate (for the day)—I just don't find Redding's bass that satisfying. Mitch Mitchell OTOH ranks right up there with Bonham in my book!  -m

On 3/16/09, Dan Ash <Daniel.Ash@verizon.net> wrote:
From: Miko Biffle <biffoz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: OT That 'sizzle sound' of Mp3s
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Date: Thursday, March 12, 2009, 3:28 PM

For the most part, vinyl mastering and production esthetics were more mid-rangey and compared to modern production a little "honkey" sounding.  Compression and volume maximization aside, I prefer the broader tonal spectrum of modern recordings. I love Hendrix, but most of recordings still have that narrower range and less bass, giving the recordings a dated sound. MP3's of the same recordings sound dated as well. I understand the basics of high end interpolation and sampling, but still, I just don't hear it.

Sorry if I'm a little late to the party, and confess that I didn't follow this thread closely - but it took a little while to process the statement that Hendrix sounded 'dated'.   I realize now of course that the reference was to the sound of the recordings - his music is of course timeless. So based on the necessity of mastering for a lathe and limiting the low-end to accommodate turntables, Eddie Kramer mixed and EQ'd the bass at a level that worked for his target media.  With the advent of sub-woofers and newer dance styles dominating the mainstream we evidently have a new generation that notes a lack of low end in classic rock and on the other hand also accepts the sizzle that even my tired ears finds 'earritating'.  It only now occurs to me that anything more than a couple of years old might sound 'dated' to younger listeners.
Excuse me while I work my back over to my rocking chair!

--
Miko Biffle
Biffoz@Gmail.com