Re: looking for a VSTi that reacts to audio

Very interesting idea, Michael! I've been thinking about that too...
for years. FXpansion makes GURU that analyzes a loop saved to the hard
drive and slices it up into short elements that are distributed as
sound sources for a drum sampler run by a MIDI sequencer. Sound slices
with "kick drum like" character is mapped for the kick pattern, sounds
with high and light touch are mapped as hihat pattern etc etc. If this
wonderful drum programming tool would just accept live audio input as
the material to slice up and map into a sampler patch, then you would
have your holy graal! GURU is available as VST.

There a native plug-in of the Max built looper Logelloop that comes
pretty close to. It generally samples a short slice of your audio
input and plays it back "sampler-style" according to pre-programmed
step sequencer patterns. No available as VST though.

A while back I published a blue-print for a related plug-in that I
called The Steppophonic Looperformer:
http://www.perboysen.com/archives/161
The idea is free to snatch for everyone that has the time at hand to
program a software tool of it.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se