Re: OT That 'sizzle sound' of Mp3s

Andy,  thanks for putting some fish in the glasses....

The result of the process is not as bandwidth limiting as people
assume (except at very low bit rates the HF response is filtered to
prevent aliasing).  I am surprised by how frequently people say that
they think MP3s have no bass.   It simply isn't true.

The white noise test will show up  artifacts because the process is
based on a theory of perceptual encoding which states that certain
loud sounds will mask certain quiet sounds and this is determined on
a frequency by frequency basis. (in FFT 'bins').  A swept sine wave
allows the process to deal with a single frequency at a time.  Given
equal lengths, I wonder which test signal makes a smaller mp3 file.

CZ

http://www.zmix.net